Changing pool chemicals/dosing system

Home Forums Support Changing pool chemicals/dosing system

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dariusz Adamek
    Participant

Hello there

I look after a pool at SJC. At the moment we use granudos5 dosing machine and 32% hydrochloric acid and hth calcium hypochlorite. The set up mentioned above have been put in place before I have started working here. I believe that we should be using sodium hypochlorite as water here is very hard. Could you please confirm/advise?
    Also I have spoken to couple of pool operators I know and they seem to think that we should not be using 32% acid (non of them does – they use something around 10%). Could you advise on that one too please?
    I am in the position to make some changes to the running of the pool and chemicals used but we need to make sure that it is correct way forward as it is obviously linked with quite substantial up front investment.
    We used in the past two external pool companies (one of which put the current system – they argue it is correct) but the other company says quite the opposite.

I would appreciate your advise and help on that matter.

Kind regrds
    Dariusz Adamek
    Site Manager
    St Joseph’s College

Stockwell Safety
    Keymaster

Hi Dariusz,
    You’re correct in both cases. 10% is clearly going to be much safer than +30% strength and will cause less problems with fuming and corrosion.
    If you’re in a hard water area, calcium hypochlorite will further exacerbate that and lead to on-going maintenance issues. Better to use sodium hypochlorite.
    Hope that helps,
    Adam.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.